Most pushchairs fall into two size ranges – “up to 5 years” and “5-10 years”, the Maclaren Major Elite is unusual in covering an age range from say 2 years to 8 years, although suitability is more about size rather than age. Based on the standard Maclaren ‘umbrella style’ folding strollers the Major Elite is essentially just a larger ‘beefed up’ version. It has an adjustable footplate which can be positioned at three levels to suit the child’s leg length so the pushchair can grow with the child.
Major Elite (inc. footplate) prices:
• no accessories – £239 + VAT (0%)
• with Storm Cover – £269 + VAT (0%)
• with Sun Hood, Rain Cover & Basket – £309 + VAT (0%)
(inc. delivery to UK mainland)
For a child requiring postural support you can use a seat insert with the Major Elite, for example a Stabilo or BodyMap Vacuum Support Cushion System. Robustly made with an aluminium frame the Major Elite is sturdy enough for a child up to 45kg while still being reasonably lightweight. It comes with the basic Two Year Warranty which can be upgraded free to the Maclaren Sovereign Lifetime Warranty but do be aware that this only covers defects of manufacture not ‘wear and tear’ – both the warranty and the safe working load may be significantly reduced if the child is not a co-operative occupant. The Maclaren Major Elite has been developed especially for the older/larger child who is not able to walk or, more likely, can walk…but not far enough (or reliably in the direction which you want to go !).
If a child is too big for the Major Elite then the Ergo Lightweight Pushchair may be suitable.
The Major Elite has relatively small 7″ wheels which are best suited to smooth surfaces, it will struggle off road or with a larger child even on a cobbled street (see our other pushchairs, e.g. Advance Mobility Independence) so it is essentially an urban pushchair. On the other hand the relatively small ‘footprint’ of the Major Elite makes it much more suitable than the other pushchairs for use around town, inside shops or other places indoors, e.g. School.
It is fairly common that neither the Major Elite nor our other pushchairs will go everywhere you need to go.
The Advance Mobility Independence will do the recreational ‘quality of life’ trips to the park, the woods, the beach…but isn’t that practical around town or inside shops – the Major Elite will do the town and shops…but isn’t practical off road….so many people have one of each and we can do a very competitive price package if you buy both.
The Key Features:
7″ swivel front wheels
- good manoeuvrability in small places
- small wheels unsuitable for rough surfaces
- hard wheels no suspension
- not lockable
- three position footplate to suit child leg length
- location slots for fitting foot straps (not supplied)
- has to be removed before folding (not complicated)
- fixed angle not adjustable
- exposed position for the ‘occupant’, lacks privacy
- maximum weight limit 110lbs, 50kg (but check dimensions)
Five point adjustable harness
- 4 height position shoulder strap adjustment
- wipe clean (sponge-able) fabrics
- tough plastic non pneumatic wheels (no punctures !)
- folds compactly – but long (see Maclaren Major Elite Specifications)
Lightweight, robust aluminium frame
- 2 year frame warranty can be upgraded to a Lifetime Warranty FREE
- 12 months on wheels & fabrics etc.)
- not supplied as standard by Maclaren a shopping basket is available as an optional accessory
- dual rear wheel parking brakes
- not supplied as standard by Maclaren but our packages include a Storm Cover (not Maclaren Rain Cover) although we will happily put together a special package for you.
- eligible for VAT Relief when purchased for a child with special needs.
There are also some extra accessories available:
The Maclaren Major Elite pushchair is not ‘Crash Tested’ it cannot be used for transporting a child in a vehicle, if you need a pushchair which is Crash Tested and approved for use in a vehicle see the Trotter model.
There are lots of accessories we can supply for the Maclaren Major Elite, click the button at the bottom of the page for more information.
IMPORTANT. Feedback from a few customers has brought to our attention that the sun hood height of 117cm (46″) may cause visibility problems. When the rain cover is fitted this may pull the front down a little. For some people the alternative Storm Cover may be preferable.