Basic no frills ‘umbrella folding’ buggy for a larger child, say 2 years to 8 years. Similar in design to the Maclaren Major Elite, it looks like another manufacturer’s copy. Indeed much of the text on this page is the same as for the Maclaren Major Elite…but with the name changed! It is especially suited for a child who is not able to walk yet or, more likely, can walk…but not far enough (or reliably in the direction which you want to go !).
Apart from the budget price and availability there are not really any features of the Budget XL Special Needs Stroller which recommend it in place of the Maclaren Major Elite.
Budget XL (inc. footplate) prices:
• no accessories – £179 + VAT (0%)
• with Storm Cover – £199 + VAT (0%)
• with Sun Hood, Rain Cover & Basket – £229 + VAT (0%)
(inc. delivery to UK mainland)
Compared to the Major Elite…
Positive customer feedback:
- the seat fabric wraps over the side of the pushchair frame both padding the metal frame a bit and also covering the gap in the frame which some children like to put their hands through
- lower price
Negative customer feedback:
- the footplate fixing method is a bit more rudimentary and so not as easy to fit, although this may be something which would become easier with use and familiarity
- only 3 levels of shoulder strap height adjustment, and shoulder straps are shorter
Robustly made with an aluminium frame the Budget XL Special Needs Stroller is sturdy enough for a child up to 45kg while still being reasonably lightweight.
If a child is too big for the Budget XL then the Ergo Lightweight Pushchair may be suitable.
It comes with a One Year Manufacturers Warranty but do be aware that this only covers defects of manufacture not ‘wear and tear’ – both the warranty and the safe working load may be significantly reduced if the child is not a co-operative occupant.
The Budget XL Special Needs Stroller has relatively small 7″ wheels which are best suited to smooth surfaces, it will struggle off road or with a larger child even on a cobbled street (see our other pushchairs, e.g. Advance Mobility Independence) so it is essentially an urban pushchair. On the other hand the relatively small ‘footprint’ of the Budget XL Special Needs Stroller makes it much more suitable than the other pushchairs for use around town, inside shops or other places indoors, e.g. School.
It is fairly common that neither the Budget XL Special Needs Stroller nor our other pushchairs will go everywhere you need to go. The Advance Mobility Independence will do the recreational ‘quality of life’ trips to the park, the woods, the beach…but isn’t that practical around town or inside shops, the Budget XL Special Needs Stroller will do the town and shops…but isn’t practical off road….so many people have one of each and we can do a very competitive price package if you buy both.
The Key Features:
7″ swivel front wheels
- good manoeuvrability in small places
- small wheels unsuitable for rough surfaces
- hard wheels no suspension
- not lockable
- three position footplate to suit child leg length
- location slots for fitting Foot Straps or Ankle Straps (not supplied)
- has to be removed before folding
- fixed angle not adjustable
- exposed position for the ‘occupant’, lacks privacy
- maximum weight limit 110lbs, 50kg (but check dimensions)
- wipe clean (sponge-able) fabrics
- tough plastic non pneumatic wheels (no punctures !)
Five point adjustable height harness
- 3 height position shoulder strap adjustment
- folds compactly – but long see Specifications
Lightweight but robust aluminium frame
- 1 year warranty
- dual rear wheel parking brakes
- not supplied (optional accessory)
- not supplied (optional accessory)
- eligible for VAT relief when purchased for a child with special needs
Budget XL Accessories:
Lambskin Comfort Liner
Foot Restraint Straps
The Budget XL Special Needs Stroller is not ‘Crash Tested’ it cannot be used for transporting a child in a vehicle, if you need a pushchair which is Crash Tested and approved for use in a vehicle see the Trotter model. It is possible to fit a Buggy Board to the Budget XL to help transport a second child. We are advised by the distributor of the Buggy Board that they are confident that it can be fitted to the Budget XL Special Needs, although they have not specifically tested it (only ones which have been tested are explicitly listed on their website).